1. Not to send work-related e-mail outside of business hours.
2. Not to forward e-mails to anyone except my partner without the permission of the author, unless the message is clearly intended for distribution.
3. To respond to inquiries within 2 business days, unless I am out of town or dealing with a family emergency, even if it is only to say that I won’t have time to respond fully in the near future.
4. To send only one work-related message per person per day, unless we are working under a deadline.
5. To decline most requests and invitations.
6. To write politely.
Charles Kurzman, Department of Sociology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Updated July 30, 2008.